Bobwhite Quail Releases 2023
The goal is to release these birds into their historical environments on Long Island. They’ll be graduating in July and starting their new lives in the wild. Join me, CEED Biologist, “Ranger” Eric Powers, founder of the Bobwhite Quail Project, as we release our juvenile quail back into their natural habitat. There, they will fill their ecological role of eating small, ground-dwelling bugs in our fields and forests, including a whole lot of ticks too!
Additionally, you can help by keeping house cats indoors and away from the Quail, or making a donation of time or money to help support CEED, the nature center that leads this important project. Release Dates and locations:
- Wednesday July 19, 10am: Mt Sinai Elem School at Brookhaven State Park. 75 BWQ
- Tuesday July 25, 11am: Town of North Hempstead at Hempstead Harbor Beach Trail. 50 BWQ from Clark Botanic Gardens + 100 BWQ from Smithtown Pens.
- Tuesday July 25, 4:30pm: CEED at South Trail (Dennis Puleston Preserve). 100 BWQ from Smithtown Pens.
- Thursday July 27, 1pm: Town of Brookhaven at the Longwood Estate. 100 BWQ.
- Saturday July 29, 10am: CEED Release at Caleb Smith State Park. ALL REMAINING BWQ, est 500-600 BWQ. Those of you who participated in this project and donated Quail are encouraged to bring an animal carrier to this release in order to receive a small covey of Quail to have your own private release with just you and your class or library patrons, in another part of Caleb Smith State Park.
I hope everyone can make it to at least one of the releases! I hope to see you there.
Eric Powers, CEED Site & Program Director
We regretfully announce that we are cancelling the Fall Festival, due to the likelihood of extreme weather on Saturday. However, we have rescheduled Cuban and Puerto Rican musical artists Mambo Loco to perform at CEED on Saturday, October 7 for a FREE concert. We...
It's migration season for birds in our area. Check out the National Fish and Wildlife Service post below, which is based on Birdcast, a service of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, New York State's world-renowned center for the study of birds, forecasts tonight to be a...
Sunday, October 8 · 11am - 1pm Celebrate the glory of trees in fall with artist, Jennifer Lucas. She'll lead you in an afternoon of examining, sketching, and painting fall leaves. Register below ...Recent postsBack to blog home >>Anyone can volunteer. Even you!